Monday, May 24, 2010

LOST....

I had a half day of work set up for today, so I went to bed at 10:00 last night and taped the finale of LOST, thinking I'd only have a few hours of work and then be able to watch it in the afternoon.

NOT!

About an hour into the day, the office manager called and asked if I could stay all day because the teacher who I was subbing for had an issue that was going to keep her out longer than she expected. Naturally, I agreed. I couldn't really say "no." Well, I guess technically I could, but I want to look good for this district and with summer coming I need all the cash I can get, so LOST was going to have to wait a few more hours.

Does time ever go slower than when you are looking forward to something?

The class was incorrigible in their chattiness. Nothing quieted them down. Not rewards, not punishment, nothing. Added to the problem was that I didn't have a full lesson plan for the afternoon, only the instructions that the teacher gave the office manager over the phone. And when I tried to teach, most of it was stuff the kids had already done. Oy vey.

We got through it. I stopped and did two read-aloud breaks, reading two stories for each break, and assigned a writing project rather than giving the kids free time. If I'm learning anything from subbing, it's how to improvise.

And so, I finally got home to my LOST. Wow! Was it ever worth the wait!

3 comments:

  1. LOVED the LOST!!! I wanted answers, answers, answers. I got very few, but in the end it didn't really matter. The way it ended was very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a day like that. It must suck on both ends, since the teacher doesn't get to do what they wanted in the afternoon at all.

    Did you tell the kids you'd only be there for half the day?

    Also, the only times I watched Lost were when a girl I was dating in college wanted to watch it and I just watched it with her. Now that I can catch the whole thing on Netflix I might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The students are done. The teachers are done. Subs may be the only people left who are working.

    ReplyDelete