Well, maybe not really.
I actually got a call this morning at 6am. It was to sub for 5th grade math. I decided I really didn't want to start the year off with 5th grade, so I declined. Not wise. I certainly need the money, but I just couldn't see rushing around to deal with 5th graders the first week of school. Of course, they're not really 5th graders yet. At this point, they're really still 4th graders, but, whatever.
Since I know at least two of my four districts (still not sure about number three--sub meeting is on the 16th) have put pink-slipped teachers on priority for sub calls, I know most calls will be last minute. I guess I'm going to have to get into the habit of waking up early and getting ready and just wait for the call to tell me where to go each day. Not my preferred method. I'd rather have notice at least the night before, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I am slightly encouraged that I got the call this morning. I was expecting to have nothing for September. A call in the second week of school might be a good sign.
Despite my hesitation to deal with certain grade levels, I think I'm rested up and ready to go back to the battlefield. I'd better be, because I already accepted a full day roving at a middle school followed by a half day science at the same school for later this month. It makes no sense, I know. Why decline 5th grade and then accept middle school two days in a row? I don't have an answer. The only redeeming aspect of the assignment is that the school is closer to home than the call I got this morning.
I'll let you know before I go in....if I don't post afterward, send in the National Guard....